Enrolment | South Bank Colleges
Language icon

After you have made an application online enrolment is the process of becoming a student at South Bank Colleges. Everyone needs to enrol, whether they are an adult or young person applying to study full-time or part-time, or for an apprenticeship.  

How do I enrol?

Simply apply for the course you want to do on our website. Go to the course page and ‘Apply’. We will then be in touch to tell you how to complete your enrolment with us. You can also visit us at college if you prefer to speak to someone face to face. 

What if I can’t apply online?

If you are having difficulty applying online or would prefer to speak to someone directly, we are available to support you.
Please contact our friendly, experienced admissions team to arrange an appointment: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or 020 7501 5000.

Where and when can I enrol?

Enrolment for all courses, at Lambeth College (Clapham and Brixton) and London South Bank Technical College (Nine Elms), takes place at the campus you will be studying at. Once you have applied online you will be emailed with more details about interviews/enrolment as appropriate.  At enrolment you will receive your lanyard and timetable.

However, you can always pop in and see us and we will support you to get on the course that's right for you.

Documents to bring to enrolment?

To complete your enrolment, you will need to bring the following documents;

  • Proof of status in the UK/Evidence of your identity, such as your passport, birth certificate, ID Residency card or Home Office letter. If you are an asylum seeker or refugee, please supply a letter from the local authority that is supporting you.
  • Evidence of previous qualifications achieved at any school, college or university to date. Please bring your certificates where possible.
  • If you are an adult student (aged 19 or older), we also need to check further documents, depending on the course you would like to enrol on. We will let you know what you need to provide when you apply. This may include evidence of income, including payslips, an official letter from sponsors, benefits letter etc. 
  • If you are aged 19 to 24 and have an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP) you should bring this with you to enrolment.

What if I need support with sign language when I enrol?

We have access to BSL interpreters and we can support you onsite for your enrolment. Please speak to one of our admissions team to make arrangements.

What if I do not get the grades I need?

We know that exam grades can been concerning for many people.

We want to reassure you that all available information is considered to make sure you get the right course to meet your needs and aspirations.

What if I need course advice and guidance?

If you aren’t sure what you want to do or didn’t get the results you wanted, we’re here to help.

You can choose from the following options;

1) If you are a current student please speak to your course tutor or Learning Development Coach. They are always happy to provide information, support and advice.

2) If you are about to join us as a new student and have a question about your application, for either Lambeth College or London South Bank Technical College, please speak to a member of our admissions team. You should contact by email in the first instance at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or call 020 7501 5000.

Course Fees and Funding

If you live in the Great London Authority and earn less than £25,642.50 annual gross salary (before any deductions) and can evidence your salary with payslips, you may be eligible for low-income fee remission, depending on the course you are studying. If you live outside the Greater London Authority area, the income threshold is £17,374.50

If you are not eligible for Fee Remission and your course is level 3 or above, you may be able to apply for an Advanced Learner Loan from the Student loan Company. Staff at enrolment will be able to advise further if this relates to your course(s), including providing you with the information you need to apply.

After reviewing your documentation and course choice, an enrolling officer will advise you of the fees due for your course(s). If you are not entitled to fee remission you must make provision to pay for your course at the enrolment desk.

The College reserves the right to correct administrative errors that may occur during the registration process, including the applicable fee or loan value.
The College will act reasonably in the application of any such correction and if significant, the student shall have the option to withdraw and receive a full refund of fees paid.